Surgery follow-up...

I mentioned that I'd be doing this in an earlier post, but I underwent Achilles tendon repair surgery just a few days ago. It's been an adventure, with several new constraints added to my daily life... primarily, I have to stay completely off my right leg. It can't bear weight at any time and should be elevated as much as possible. When I do move around for the occasional personal-hygiene break, I'm on crutches.

It's been this way since the surgery on Tuesday and will continue until March 5, when I have the post-surgical followup with the surgeon. At that point, he'll take the splint/bandages off and check things out. From there, it'll either be a hard cast for a few weeks or more of this splint/bandage thing that I'm currently in.

The surgery itself went very well (I'm told -- I was out)... I was given the option of a "nerve block" just prior to the surgery. Basically, the anesthesiologist (try typing THAT on pain meds) shoots an anesthetic into the back of my right leg, just above the knee. That completely numbed it from the knee down for about 18 hours. It made the period immediately following the surgery a little more bearable as I only had to deal with the grogginess of being completely under and not the additional pain in my leg. The surgeon told me that the rupture was up a little higher on the leg than is normal, but the repair went well and "the fibers look good."

Once the nerve block wore off, though, it was time to make a dent in the pain prescription. It still hurts pretty bad when those wear off. The pain is mostly a combination of sharp pain and swelling. When the leg's wrapped up as tight as mine is and then needs to swell... well, there's nowhere really for it to go.

Washing up in the morning is a trick, but we're getting a routine down... mostly, it's just really hard being confined to either a bed or a couch for this long (and over a week to go). There's only so much a guy can do to occupy his time when one leg has to be at nose level all the time.

I can't imagine going through this alone and my wife has been absolutely wonderful, helpful, and supportive for me. I'm really NOT a very good patient.